Typhoid Sue

No, not "Typhoid Mary" ... not even "typhoid Melyssa"(which my grandmother and aunts called me when I was little) ... I had a visit this weekend from "typhoid Sue!" To say that mom has a head cold is a major understatement. The poor woman was so stuffy she couldn't sleep until I basically forced her to take some cold medicine - and take it again at 4:30 in the morning! She was coughing her guts out! :(

It all started with a rainstorm. Thursday afternoon (after spending the day hopping back and forth between two conferences - the Governor's Conference for Women, and the UT Ready to Commercialize Conference), I went to the airport to pick up mom. She had been in Dallas all week at the EDUCAUSE Annual Meeting. Her plane was a little late because of the quick-moving storm, which lowered the temperature in Austin by 20 degrees in 2 hours. But by the time we came out of the airport, it had stopped!

We went to Central Market and had dinner at the cafe there - we shared a crab cake salad, and mom had her first taste of fish tacos. She loved them! (I make them at home all the time, ever since Jae made me taste Wahoo's! fish tacos out in San Diego.) :) [Hey! There is a Wahoo's here in Austin! Wahooooo!!]

Friday was "take my mom to work" day. Everybody at my office either knows my mom already (and loves her) or couldn't wait to meet her. The biggest challenge was getting her laptop to work. The IT guy from my office tried to help, but in the end we gave up and he lent her a loaner laptop. (By the time we got that working, it was time to go to lunch!) We decided that the computer problems were a toss-up between my mom's bad tech karma, and the fact that it was Friday the 13th. You have NO idea.

After work, Mom came to the gym with me, but she was too sick to work out -- my trainer had even come up with some fun exercises for us to do together. Oh well. So Tina did her best to fatigue every one of my muscles (she succeeded), and then we went to dinner.

Saturday was so busy, I'm still recovering. We went to Las Manitas for migas for breakfast. Awesome. Unfortunately, Marriott has bought the land that LM sits on on Congress St. and is trying to get the restaurant to move. There's a petition, a letter from City Council, a website... it's all very dramatic. We walked over to the Farmer's Market, where they were having a dog show and had puppies on display from different rescue groups - Bassett rescue and some others. They were adorable. Then it was time to go shopping!! :) We went down to Barton Creek Mall, and ended up getting some clothes for each of us. By then it was ... only 3pm!

On a normal Saturday, at this point I would probably head for home and take a short nap. But not today. From the minute mom entered my house (which she liked very much), she started listing off the pieces of furniture that I "need" to get - bookcases, a desk, etc. So off we went. We stopped at Storehouse Furniture (which apparently is going out of business, so they're having big sales!), and a few other places, but the big money was spent at Office Depot. I got a desk, three bookcases, and a desk chair. The biggest splurge was the chair ---> which I put together myself. :) The desk and the tall bookcase will be delivered on Tuesday... now all I have to do is make space in the small bedroom so I can build them!

After the furniture extravaganza, we had to pick up one or two more things. Target, here we come! Then I took mom to Zinger's Hardware, which I love. Mom admitted that if she lived here, she'd go there a lot, too. They have so much cute stuff! We went to El Arroyo for dinner - it's right near my house, but I hadn't been there yet. Yummy! It's the Austin version of Guapo's. I think I'll be there a lot. We didn't even have enough energy to go to the sports bar to hang out with the USC alumni for the game, so we followed it online. Frustrating (the sites didn't upload data in real time), but at least USC squeaked out a win.

Today's brunch was at Blue Star Cafeteria. The restaurant was surprisingly empty (it's new), but the food was very tasty! Dropped mom off at the airport, and home to nap! I bought some Zicam at Target, and between that and the vitamin C, I'm hoping to stave off the germs that mom left. Well, that and I wiped everything down with Lysol dysinfecting wipes as soon as I got home!

Comments

allyn fratkin said…
umm, wahoo's, no. rubio's.
MelyssaF said…
We've been to Wahoo's too... but you're right, the first time you *made* me eat fish tacos was at Rubio's.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4