Nine Jews who Changed the World

I went to an event this evening at the LBJ Library (I will have to go back and see the exhibits, there wasn't time tonight!) with the author of "Great Escape: Nine Jews Who Fled Hitler and Changed the World." Kati Marton is originally from Budapest, as are the nine Jewish scientists, filmmakers and authors that she chronicled. It's an interesting story -- the nine men came to the US when the Nazis were gaining power in Europe. These scientists helped convince Einstein to sign a letter (which they had written) to FDR to get the US to start developing the atomic bomb -- before the Germans could do it. I had heard before that Einstein was a pacifist, and that he regretted sending the letter for the rest of his life. But Marton provided the convincing argument that had swayed Einstein's decision - what if Hitler had gotten there first? How different would the world be if the Nazis had had a bomb to drop? That was a little scary.


I thought of the Budapest that mom and I saw in 1994. Western influence was just coming in - we turned one corner and were faced with brand new KFC, Dunkin' Donuts, and Baskin Robbins shops. But the art, churches and museums were amazing. (I'd post pictures, but those were the days of print film, so I have nothing digital of my own. I ought to scan some of them one of these days.) I'd like very much to go back to both Budapest and Prague -- because we went to both cities on the same trip, I sometimes get the two cities confused! This is a picture of the castle on the Buda side of the Danube... I have a picture of this at sunset. It's beautiful. [This photo is from the Budapest Tourism Office's website.] Mom and I stayed at the Hotel Victoria, which is right on the Danube, with only 25 rooms -- all of which face the river, overlooking the Cathedral on the other side. I think I'd stay there again if I went back. :) (I'm very excited to see that they are still there, and have a website!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I see London, I see France...

Ciao, Italia!

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4