When you buy furniture...



1. MEASURE the doorway that the item has to go through *before* it is completely constructed.

2. Don't buy the heaviest thing in the store.

3. MEASURE the doorway that the item has to go through *before* it is completely constructed.


Yes, the Office Depot furniture arrived tonight. The Asst Mgr was nice enough to bring it over to my house in his own truck, saving me the $20 delivery fee. I had no idea how much the desk weighed. The desk top is ridiculously heavy. I had to leave the box in the kitchen and bring the pieces into the living room so I could build it! In retrospect, I could have used the $20 to pay Office Depot to build it for me.


My hands hurt. My back hurts. It was exhausting. When I finally finished (2 hours later) and stood the thing up on its legs, it occurred to me that it had to go around a tight corner... and then I looked at the doorway to the small office. and immediately reached for the measuring tape. Desk: 29 1/2 inches. Doorway: 29 1/2 inches. d'oh! I bought some of those sliders to put under furniture, so I tipped it vertical and tested. Success! The depth of the desk was only 28 1/2 inches, so after I took the door off its hinges (fortunately, the door has been removed before, so that wasn't hard), the upright desk slid straight through. Then I laid it down and brought in the drawers. Something is very wrong here - the drawers are flush with the sides on the outer edges, but about 1" short on the inner edges. hmm... BUT, it's in its little space, and I will deal with the rest tomorrow. zzzz

Time for bed!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Doh! You got lucky there! Measure twice, build once!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4