Aggravation eliminated

I know you don't really need to hear more about the desk-building experience, but there is more to tell! I will take this opportunity to point out the ups and downs of the fun I've been having with Office Depot.


Good customer service: I used the OD website on Weds to submit a complaint about the desk. I just could not believe that the damn thing was so poorly made. (serves me right for getting the OD "brand," I suppose.) I received an email within a few hours that said that they would exchange my desk for a new one -- the next day! Yippeee!


Bad customer service: You must wait patiently at the delivery location, for they will arrive any time between 8:30am and 5:30pm. Right, because I didn't have anything else to do yesterday! We won't even go into the notion of having them call first, because clearly that didn't work last week. But they can't even provide a 3-hour window, like the cable guy?


Good customer service, part 2: Then reality set in. Did I really want to build that behemoth again?! I don't think so. Instead, I surfed the OD website and found something I'd rather have instead. The nice lady on the help line was able to make the switch (including charging me the difference in price for the new desk) in less than 10 minutes.


Bad customer service, part 2: By 3pm yesterday, I was getting really fed up with the whole waiting thing. (although it did make me realize that even though I live on a cul-de-sac, there is a lot of traffic on my street during the day!) So, I checked my order number on the website. Lo and behold, the automated system tells me my item HAS BEEN DELIVERED. Hunh? Where? to Whom? Another phone call to get a live person, and all she can say is, well, they're coming. They'll be there by 5:30 or 6:00. ARGH! To make matters worse, the order number for the removal of the old desk said it wouldn't be taken away until Friday. NOT funny.


Good customer service, part 3: Round about 4:15pm, the guys finally showed up. They delivered the new item, and took the old desk away. Yippeee!


Lessons learned:
A. MEASURE the doorway before building the furniture. See previous post about this.
1. Do not buy crappy furniture from Office Depot if you can help it. Office supplies, yes. Particleboard-that-looks-like-wood executive-style desks? Not so much.
2. Do not use big words around OD delivery guys ("behemoth" was a little much for them)
3. If you don't like soap operas, there is very little on tv during the day except Food Network.
4. Grilled ham "marinated" in peanut butter and honey sounds really tasty (Paula Deen, see #3)
5. Simon & Simon is much goofier now than I thought it was in the 80's, but the theme music makes me smile. (see #3 - I do have the Sleuth Channel ) :)
6. There is no punchline to the joke that Bender (Judd Nelson) is telling as he crawls thru the ceiling duct in the Breakfast Club. "A naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a two foot salami under the other...." (that was on tv yesterday, too.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know if I'd survive the emotion struggle of shopping at OD! I wish I had the Sleuth channel, though. I may be able to live the rest of my life watching old Magnum PI & Simon & Simon episodes ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4