Sssssmokin'!


I love Jeremy Piven. (in addition to just finding him adorable) He has played John Cusack's "buddy" in everything from Say Anything to Grosse Point Blank to Serendipity, and is now kicking a** every week as Ari on Entourage. So when Andy decided he wanted to go see Smokin' Aces (again) this weekend, I was definitely in.
Faith, Matthew, Andy and I went to Alamo Village on Saturday night. Andy warned us that the movie was a little violent, but since the plot involves a mafia hit on Piven's character, I wasn't too surprised. It was a little bit bloodier than I expected... the horde of would-be assassins worked with everything from automatic weapons to a metal spike to a chainsaw - but it also had some comedy. Some things I learned from watching this picture:
  1. I still love Piven. and he really is a great actor :)
  2. Andy Garcia really sinks his teeth into the good guy/bad guy role. He's still using the snarl that he perfected in Ocean's Eleven, but it seems to work for him.
  3. Ryan Reynolds can act! Who'd have thunk it? I mean really, Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place and Van Wilder were not marks of a true thespian. ;)
  4. Ben Affleck is great in small parts where he doesn't have to carry the whole movie.
  5. Jason Bateman is a gem, and had by far the funniest scenes in the movie.
So, if you can stomach a few minutes of raging gunfire, some blood and guts, and a twisted ending, I highly recommend it. I also recommend doing something fun and relaxing afterwards - we played pool for a while - to come down from the adrenaline rush that this movie creates. ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I heart Piven!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4