Good thing I'm not a golfer...


because apparently I have a really sweet slice! heh.


Last weekend I bought a nice new chef's knife. My old one was a Betty Crocker piece of crap and I never used it -- the blade was strangely serrated, which isn't at all how a real chef's knife is supposed to be. So I got a gorgeous Kitchen-Aid one with a red handle. I never understood when chefs said the knife should be heavy and feel good in your hand, until I held this one.


And boy, it works well. I cut up those green beans in a flash on Tuesday night. Cut up everything else in sight, too, including my finger! OUCH! It wasn't so much in cutting the food, it was in cleaning the knife that I did damage. Instead of wiping off the knife from the back, I had the blade facing the sponge. (My ever-supportive father said, "I thought you were smarter than that." Thanks, dad. :) ) This knife is probably sharper than any other I have ever owned -- which only makes it worse, because if that's the case I definitely should have held the blade away from me! Lesson learned.


It was 8:30 at night. I live right next to an ambulatory care clinic, but unfortunately they close at 5pm. (what's the point of that?!?) So I wrapped my finger (my right middle finger, thankyouverymuch) tightly in paper towel, and took off for the closest ER. I brought a book; I figured I might have to wait an hour or two.


Six hours and three stitches later, I went home. They prescribed some Vicodin, but I wasn't about to try to get the scrip filled at 3am. I won't post the picture of the stitches -- besides, the camera-phone image was pretty grainy. If all goes well, the removal will be next Wednesday, at which point I will also request the tetanus shot that they forgot to give me at the ER. But if you see me driving around and it looks like I'm flipping the bird, please don't be offended - I have to hold my finger up like that! ;)


As my friend Judy said, "Just because Rachael Ray has 'finger food' recipes, doesn't mean they contain ACTUAL FINGERS."

Comments

Anonymous said…
You know, it's all because the knife has a red handle, you know...
Anonymous said…
Must be the moon! You're the 2nd person I know who needed stitches this week-end! Hope you're feeling better! /E
jude said…
Did I say that...or was it another Judy? That sounds like something I'd say.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4