An Inconvenient Truth


Last Friday, a bunch of us watched An Inconvenient Truth. Very timely, as it turns out, since the movie won an Oscar on Sunday night! I had a flurry of thoughts as I watched it.

One, I should have watched this movie long ago. (duh)

Two, I wish I could ride a bus to work or use some other form of public transportation. But at least I go from place to place quickly and don't sit in traffic, adding to the carbon dioxide problems. I am going to go to the website and try to offset my carbon emissions. $9 a month is pretty affordable to help the Earth, even a little bit.

Three, I miss Al. It's hard to explain. I worked for him in the Senate ('91), went to NYC for the convention in '92, worked again in the VP's office ('93), for the '96 campaign and the '97 Inaugural. I went to high school with his daughters. As I sat there listening to him give the global warming presentation, I couldn't help but think that if he had won in 2000 (who am I kidding, he DID win)... after the World Trade Center on 9/11/01, we would have gone into Afghanistan and found Osama Bin Laden, and we wouldn't be in this ridiculous war in Iraq. It's a good thing it was dark in the room because I was this close to tears.

But you can't dwell on the past.

I was interested in the gossipmongers who were saying that Al would decide to run for President if/when he won the Oscar. Well, he won! (the film won Best Documentary.) Actually, one of the funniest moments of the evening was when Leonardo DiCaprio goaded him into *almost* announcing his candidacy, until the music swelled and played them offstage. Hilarious! (and Tipper looked lovely, too.)

This started us on a discussion of whether Al could accomplish more by becoming President, or by NOT running, and continuing on this crusade to help the world deal with the looming global warming crisis. Unfortunately, I think the next President of the United States will have such a raft of sh*t to deal with, they will be horribly handicapped and unable to do anything but try to help the country recover. I'm not sure he wants to do that -- although I'm positive he'd do a tremendous job, and would bring back much of the respect that the US has lost in the world in the last few years.
Just my 2 cents. :) I will support Al in whatever he decides to do. As long as I don't have to watch him make out with Tipper on national television.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Unfortunately, I think he'll have more of an impact not in the Oval Office, although it's tough to know for sure. Although, I mean, look at Jimmy Carter.

Popular posts from this blog

I see London, I see France...

Ciao, Italia!

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4