A night to remember

I wouldn't wish the night I had (or more correctly, the morning) on my worst enemy. I woke up at 6am to a massive thunderstorm outside, and the sound of dripping inside. Turns out the hole that the previous tenant drilled to hang her curtains went straight into something that drains rainwater... so when it rains really hard, the rain drips onto my windowsill. It's never happened before, so I'm thinking either the gutter is backed up (although the water was clean) or it just hadn't rained this hard or this much before. There was certainly enough thunder and lightning.
[I am also starting to think that I may be allergic to mold - my allergies are always worse when I've been in my bedroom for a few hours, and this may be the culprit.]

So, I got up and went to the kitchen to get a mixing bowl to put on the windowsill. Turning around from the sink, I noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye. Wouldn't you know it? A HUGE roach running across the floor. He probably just came in to get out of the rain. I whipped out my trusty can of (floral scented) RAID and nailed the sucker. Blech, blech, blech. *shudder* I hate bugs.

Back to the bedroom, to put the large bowl under the drips. Unfortunately, I'm a really light sleeper, and the dripping sound would have kept me up forever. Off to the sofa! I took my tea, and my blanket, and moved into the living room. Got all settled, then when I reached for my tea, I knocked it over! All over the magazines, my iPod cable, and various yarn projects on the table! ACK! (Fortunately, I managed not to soak the laptop) I scurried back to the kitchen (watching out for the bug carcass), got paper towels and dishtowels, cleared everything away off the coffee table, wiped everything down... ugh.

Sigh. Back to the bedroom. The rain had slowed (it was already 7am), so the dripping quieted down. Took a Benadryl, popped in the earplugs, and passed out! Another three hours of sleep were well worth the effort. ;)

Now that I'm mostly awake, today's chores, other than staying dry, are to a) call the landlady and let her know about the dripping, although I suspect that it can't be fixed until everything is dry, and that may take until the end of the week; b) clean the house and c) finish crocheting R's poncho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4