Learned a new word today!

(Thanks to Dani, who wanted to know what "Yo la tejo" meant.)

First, I assumed (incorrectly) that the infinitive was tejar - it's not. It's tejer. From context, I guessed that the word tejer is Spanish for knit... then I went to check. I usually use Babelfish to help with my translations, but over there, knitting translates as "hacer punto" - literally, to make points. I found another dictionary that lists tejer. I might have to use that site more often, as Babelfish tends to foul things up more often than not. [In case you're wondering, "tejar" means to tile, as in putting down the bathroom floor.] Speaking of Babelfish, here's a site with a fun script called Multibabel: you enter a sentence in English, and it translates in and out of five different languages, so the end result is totally skewed.

Spanish and knitting are two of the biggest things in my life, but this is the first time I have ever put the two together (for good reason, since clearly I didn't know what the correct terminology was!). In addition to all the knitting projects I'm going to do this year, I really should get back to practicing, reading, and using my Spanish. Maybe I'll rent some movies in Spanish, too, and hide the subtitles. (My high school Spanish teacher used to put toilet paper up across the bottom of the tv screen so we couldn't see the English subtitles... I think DVDs are advanced enough that I won't have to resort to that.) Besides, knitting and reading subtitles do not mix very well. ;) I could always turn on Telemundo or Univision and watch a novela or two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4