Carbon Leaf is Really Cool!

Dani and I saw Carbon Leaf at the 9:30 Club in December of '05. It was a nice small venue, and although the songs were mostly new and some were kind of sad, it was great. When I heard that the band was coming to Stubb's (a famous BBQ & live music place in downtown Austin), I had to be there! Andy, Faith and Matthew agreed to go along. I don't think any of them had heard of Carbon Leaf before- or if they had, they hadn't heard much.

We decided to have dinner at Stubb's, too. There was a huge line outside, but it turned out those people were waiting to get in and get their tickets for the show; there was only a very short wait to eat at the restaurant. The food was very good! I had the brisket sandwich, but everybody's food - the brisket, the sausage, the chopped beef - looked excellent. We listened to the opening band from the (heated) patio, and then went inside and downstairs at 10pm to see Carbon Leaf. We ended up standing near the bar at the back of the room, but I didn't mind much - less ringing in the ears afterwards! The only problem was when the tall people in front of me leaned over to talk to each other and completely blocked my view! [and remind me, next time I go to one of these things, to leave my coat in the car!]

It turns out that this is their first time headlining their own tour - until now, they've been opening for other bands, like Dave Matthews - and the Austin tour date is the closest they've come to selling out so far! :) They said they'd come back and play a big venue in Austin, but it was up to all of us to bring 30 friends to fill the place.

They played a lot of the songs I knew from Indian Summer and Echo Echo (although we had to wait for the last song of the night to hear The Boxer) and also a lot of songs from the new album, Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat. I remember the song, The War Was In Color, from the DC Show. It's a bittersweet song. They also sang the same five-part harmony on the "Jesus song" that they did last year, but this time I recognized it and appreciated it for what it was. And of course they had to play their new song "Texas Star." You can listen to all of the songs from the album on the Carbon Leaf website. :)

I want the new album. I'd ask for it for my birthday, but I don't think I can wait a month! It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while, maybe I'll just break down and get it now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay Carbon Leaf! Yay my CL boyfriend(s). Hope your new concert-attending friends enjoyed the show. Remember, you can always download the CD now...
Anonymous said…
Matthew and I had fun with you and Andy...we'll have to go out again!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4