The word HUBRIS came to mind...

The USC Trojans, after effectively squashing the Fighting Irish like bugs, felt good. No, they felt Grrreat! They were going to the BCS national championship to prove their mettle against Ohio State -- in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year at SC -- *if* they could win the last game of the season against crosstown rivals UCLA. Piece of cake!

That turned out to be a big IF.

We're perfectly content to play in the Rose Bowl, mind you. But the boys I saw on the field at the Coliseum last weekend were not the same boys that came out to play this weekend. UCLA is not that good. The Bruins were 6-5, fourth in the PAC-10. They just out-played us, plain and simple. It sucked.

And somebody, please put Brent Musberger out of his misery. I know it wouldn't have felt as bad if we had been winning, but his commentary was really horrific. Maybe he was just being snotty because USC sent a nasty letter to the network after Musberger revealed Booty's hand signals on national television (!!!) What a shmuck.

At least Reggie and Matt had good games on Sunday. [A friend of mine, a Texas Longhorn fan, made the most of his Sunday watching Vince Young and the Titans, reliving the glory days. Maybe I should have watched the Saints game?!]

As for the Rose Bowl game, unless I can change my flight, I'll be watching from Dulles airport, and will probably miss the end of the game as I fly back to Texas. Argh.

Comments

Just Me said…
Bad Brent! Bad Bruins! Just plain bad.

Popular posts from this blog

I see London, I see France...

Ciao, Italia!

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4