Holiday Meme

Welcome to the Holiday edition of "Getting to know your friends" - courtesy of Phyl-Phyl
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Both. It all depends on the gift. I looove wrapping gifts.
2. Real tree or artificial? None. Menorah, check. Chanuka lights, check. Tree? Not so much.
3. When do you put up the tree? see #2. Menorah comes out the day before Chanuka, and gets put away after the eighth night... after I've cleaned all the melted wax off the base.
4. When do you take the tree down? again, see #2.
5. Do you like eggnog? Lactose intolerance really curbs my eggnog intake. However, I would love to get a sip of Dani's famous version someday. I'll just pop a dozen lactaid pills first! I'm still on the hunt for the recipe my mom used to have for eggnog cookies. they were awesome.
6. Favorite gift received [as a child]? There are two things that I absolutely love that my parents got me - first, a script from the West Wing, signed by Dule Hill, Allison Janney, John Spencer and Richard Schiff. I literally screamed and jumped up and down when I opened it. [there's a picture of that reaction...] Second, a Lalique eagle hood ornament. (I used to have the eagle on a poster that my mom brought back from a car museum. So it was very exciting to have my own eagle.) That was my only Chanuka present that year... and dad made me play 20-questions in the week leading up to the holiday, to see if I could figure out what it was. (I couldn't.)
7. Do you have a nativity scene? I think I can safely skip answering this one.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Mom. Since she doesn't often express any "need" for anything, it's very hard to come up with something she might like that she hasn't already gotten for herself!
9. Easiest person to buy for? Jeff. I am always surprised at the cool books that come out about comic books and superheroes, and most of the time I get it right. (I think the golf/billiards set I gave him a few years ago was my worst choice ever!)
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A battery-powered light-up ring in a weird aluminum box. (last year's office white elephant - thanks, RTK.)
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mostly mail. Yikes! Better get started on those this week.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and Love Actually.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas/Chanuka? This mostly depends on when Chanuka actually falls. If I see something for a specific person early in November, I'll buy it - but then I run into the challenge of making sure I can still find it by late December! Otherwise, shopping starts this week in earnest! I have been known to hit the mall on the evening of the 23rd for Xmas gifts.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? That's what "white elephant" parties are for, right?
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas/Chanuka? Potato Latkes with applesauce! yum.
16. Clear lights or colored [on the tree]? Lights with Chanuka shapes attached to them - menorahs, stars, and dreidls - strung around my office.
17. Favorite Christmas song? I love the David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet. But you can't beat Adam Sandler's Chanuka song, or Kyle's "Lonely Jew on Christmas" from South Park. :)
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel... but that's because I went and moved to TX, so I have to travel home to DC.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Donner, Vixen, Prancer, Dancer, Comet, Cupid and Blitzen. Plus Rudolph. Is that all of them?
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? K&J use an Intel "Bunny-man" that I gave them as a tree-topper. I think that's my favorite.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Eve, because I'm never there (at K&J's) in the morning. ;)
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Xmas music in the stores BEFORE Thanksgiving! UGH!

Comments

Anonymous said…
And then there was Dasher! ;) A lesser known reindeer, but hey...I ONLY knew that b/c your blog forced me to start singing the song (in my head, of course...b/c we are in the "library")! :)
Marcia said…
God you people are hopeless ... it's DONDER, not Donner. Oh, and did you know you are not evolved? You can read all about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/11/science/11evolve.html

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4