Weekend leftovers

It was a very full weekend... I'm still recovering.

On Saturday morning, I went to see the Yarn Harlot! It was arranged by Hill Country Weavers, but since their shop is actually quite small, she spoke next door at the Baptist Church. As she said (at the time, and again on her blog), she's probably the first harlot to speak from the church pulpit. :) She's just as funny in person as she is on her blog. And she's cute! (I don't know what I expected... but I don't remember seeing a pic of her before so I was pleasantly surprised.) I think most of her speech was reading from her new book, but I don't have it yet, so I can't say for sure.

I took my knitting bag with me, as did most of the women in the room. I made good progress on Sam's new sweater before and during Stephanie's talk.... that is, when I wasn't laughing hysterically! She told stories, and gave tips on how to spot knitters in a crowd, and sample answers to "Wow, you sure have a lot of yarn" -- my favorite - "Yarn? What yarn?" And while I take pictures of my knitting/crochet work inside my apartment (usually on the sofa), she tends to place her objects either on bushes, or in flowerbeds, or other outdoor lovely places. She said none of her neighbors ever say a word when she's out there putting her half-knitted sweaters in the bushes! I guess they've already decided that she's nuts. ;) If you look at her posting about Austin, you can actually see me in the group picture from the church - top picture, halfway down, along the aisle on the left side, there's a bright turquoise t-shirt. That's me! :)

Anyway, here's a pic of my work on Sunday night (after I had worked on it a while longer... my thumb started to hurt so I had to stop.) You can't really tell, but it's the body of a sweater (knit around sideways) with embellishments every few inches across. The safety pins on either side are where the arm holes are. I'm almost done with the body, next the sleeves!

I also decided to hell with it, and I finished off the Olympic scarf. I mean, really. It started in January. I still need to weave in all the ends. But I just couldn't face lugging the thing around in my knitting bag any more. So here's what it looks like. The yarn is Filatura Llanarota DK, same as for the sweater, although I did buy a nice selection of different colors. I think I still have a few skeins of a nice sea green... got to figure out what to do with it.

Saturday night, RTK hosted a bbq at my house. I mean, his house. :) It was fun, although I got eaten alive by the mosquitoes! He bought enough burgers and dogs for an army... so there's tons of food left over. The freezer is full! Literally half of the people introduced themselves with "I'm Randall's cousin." He has a lot of family around here! Aunt Sally is the best. She gave me a big hug and told me she had seen my announcement in the newspaper. ;) His cousin Sara is coming to Austin soon to go to business school... apparently I may have to share the house with her between when she arrives and when the movers arrive with my stuff at my new place.

Sunday morning I tried a new class at the gym. (This is the one that Jodi recommended last week when I was dying in the locker room.) ...and she was right! It's 15 minutes of spinning, 15 minutes of weight lifting (1 minute intervals rotating from station to station), another 15 minutes of spinning,and 15 more of weight intervals. Then cool down. It was probably the best workout I'd had! I loved it. I told her she was my hero. She thought I was crazy, but that's not news.

In the afternoon, a couple of us drove down to Kyle, TX to a barbecue fundraiser for our co-worker's son. He (Kaleb, known as Kowboy Kaleb cuz he always wears his cowboy hat and boots!) has leukemia. He's 4. He's adorable. He has a miniature horse, named (what else?) Trigger. :) I hope they raised a lot of money. They had a silent auction and a live auction. There were some interesting items... I know my cousins will get a kick out of this -- a guitar signed by Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. I think it went for $600.

We'll have to see what fun stuff this weekend holds.

Comments

Just Me said…
The sweater and scarf are lookin' good. I'm glad this wasn't another tale of "the class at the gym that almost killed me."
Anonymous said…
Did you by me that guitar for my upcoming birthday? You shouldn't have!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4