How do you define "cheese"?

There was a blog posting on the Washington Post website today about "Uncool Songs it's OK to Admit you Love."

Tons of people commented and added their own lists - there is a range of music from the 60's onward... and most of my favorite 80's songs appear (multiple times). This list comes from a posting, toward the end, that made me laugh out loud -- many of these songs were played at my Bat Mitzvah in 1986! When I get an iPod (someday), I'll be putting a lot of these on there!

  • Tarzan Boy - Baltimora (the DJ played this by request!)
  • I Wanna Be a Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
  • Never Surrender - Corey Hart (oh no, we wanted to hear Sunglasses at Night)
  • Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone - Glass Tiger
  • And We Danced - Hooters (Yes, I was a HUGE Hooters fan!)
  • Walkin' on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves (I still bop around the house when I hear this)
  • Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder
  • Jungle Love - Morris Day and the Time
  • One Night in Bangkok - Murray Head
  • Pass the Dutchie - Musical Youth
  • Cool It Now - New Edition
  • Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell
  • Sugar Walls - Sheena Easton (I think at some point I wanted to BE Sheena Easton....)
  • Heaven - Bryan Adams

But then there are the lists that are the same as some of my favorite 80's CDs - they may be cheesy, but I am NOT ashamed to admit I love them. Besides, you all know that by now. ;)

  • Jesse's Girl -- Rick Springfield
  • 867 -5309 -- Tommy TuTone
  • She Blinded Me with Science -- Thomas Dolby
  • Take on Me -- A-Ha
  • The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels (ok, that one is Bryan's fault, he gave it to me on a mix CD when he was at Emory.)
  • Tempted -- Squeeze
  • Come on Eileen-Dexy's Midnight Runners
  • Always Something There to Remind Me- Naked Eyes
  • (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
  • Life in a Northern Town - Dream Academy (I believe I had the 45 of this...)
  • Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
  • My Sharona- The Knack
  • 99 Luftballons - Nena

Any cheesy songs I missed? (opened the floodgates, didn't I?)

Comments

princess teri said…
this is too easy!

"Mr Roboto" Styx

"Mickey" Tony Basil

"Space Age Love Song" Flock of Seagulls

"Betty Davis Eyes" Kim Carnes

"Too Shy" Kajagoogoo

and the coolest movie about the 80's, the Wedding Singer !!

i'm having a hard time distinguishing between "good" and "bad" 80's songs. you've just inspired me to load up my mp3 player with 80's songs!!
Anonymous said…
"Life is a Highway" by, who knows, but I can't be the only one to count it as a secret pleasure b/c they remade it for the CARS movie! Hope all is well! /E
Anonymous said…
I had a great time reading that blog. Thanks for forwarding me the link. See I don't see 80's music as bad or a secret passion . . . Of course, this is coming from the same person that can hardly admit she owns the soundtrack cd to "Valley Girl".

Popular posts from this blog

I see London, I see France...

Ciao, Italia!

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4