Defeating the sweater curse


A few weeks ago I completely "frogged" the cursed purple sweater I made for Samantha (I finished it the first time in February, and had started again in June, to no avail) ... I borrowed Dani's ballwinder and made pretty little yarn cakes. :) Here are the yarn cakes, and just for comparison, one regular unused skein of the lovely Filatura Lanarota D.K. yarn I'm using. This sweater was just plain unwilling to be completed. So, I gave up on that pattern, found another, and started again, in pink. Fortunately, I believe Samantha likes pink a LOT.

So here's a pic of how it's coming along. I like this sweater pattern because it goes side-to-side (funny enough, the crochet cardigan I made for her last year also went side-to-side. hmm..) I pinned the armhole together so it wouldn't get too stretched out. I'm also doing the regular part of the pattern in stockinette instead of garter stitch -- I just plain don't like garter stitch. The color is a little shocking in the flash of my camera... it's the same as the pink yarn cake above. In fact, that little yarn cake made this whole sweater segment! I'm half-way through the box stitch center section of the back. Time to add a new skein and keep going! I am deathly afraid that (like someone else I know) I will run out of yarn before I finish. But I figure I'll use the purple or the blue for the box stitch section that runs down the center of the sleeves, mabe that will give me enough pink. We'll see.

Tomorrow is my last time at trivia night before I move (as there won't be trivia on July 4th -- and I won't be there anyway). Waaah! My mom said, "What will the girls do without you?" I said, "They'll keep winning!" I'll see the girls again on Sunday night, though, to celebrate Jezebel (I mean Joan)'s birthday. Good thing I don't have to go to work on Monday! :)

Comments

Just Me said…
Yay yarn cakes! Boo last night at trivia!
Anonymous said…
So sad that you're leaving! What are we going to do? I know you'll be w/us in spirit, though. I hope you're training for Jezebel's bday...I know I am, esp. after the pinky swearing (will explain tonight). /E
Anonymous said…
Isn't everyone afraid of not having enough yarn? I just read Amber's blog where she bought yarn in Tuscany and they sold it by weight and wouldn't let her buy extra - "promised" her it was enough . . .
Anonymous said…
Hi Melyssa-

I'm looking for a penguin pattern to crochet for my little girl. Yours is the cutest one I've found
(http://www.fratkin.com/melyssa/crochet.htm). Would mind sending me the pattern? Or even the duck pattern on which you based the penguin.

Thanks so much.
Wendy
MelyssaF said…
Wendy - if you give me your email address, I'll send you the pattern. I can't reply to "anonymous@blogspot.com"

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4