Yes, we're tourists

Yesterday (Weds) we didn't have time to come to the Internet cafe, we were too busy being tourists. :)

First we went to the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace, where they were showing the Royal collection of Canaletto's paintings of Venice. The Gallery also displays some of the Royal collections of other things - paintings, sculpture, furniture, jewels, etc. - and a wonderful gift shop (or 2!). When we stopped for lunch before the gallery, we met a family from Fairfax, VA! I swear I don't know how these things happen to us... But anyway, they are here for the week and my parents recommended some shows for them to see, and things to do.

After the Queen's Gallery, we went over to the Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms. The Museum part has only been open since February. It's all dedicated to Churchill's life, although it's not in chronological order... it goes from 1940 through to his death (which I suppose are the important years, WWII and after), and then explains his upbringing, his time in the army, etc. It's a very well-done museum, with interactive exhibits, movies, and lots of artifacts. We were there for 2-1/2 hours, and we didn't get to see everything! They closed the museum around us.

It is SO COLD here. We bundled up and found a bus that would take us from Westminster to Hampstead, right through the city. Unfortunately, it didn't take us all the way up to Hampstead where we needed to be, but we found another bus that did. My mother has become an expert on the London bus system. We had dinner at the Argentine restaurant near our house, Gaucho Grill. It was very tasty! I'll have to study up on Argentine wines-- the one we ordered was good, but it was just one of about a hundred wines they served, and I hadn't heard of any of them. Mom ordered Chilean Sea Bass, but was surprised when out came a whole fish! (Who orders fish at a beef restaurant?) They came out with a meat tray to display the different sizes and cuts of beef, sort of like Morton's does. (and almost as expensive...) I ordered the pork loin. Dad's churrasco steak was probably the best (duh). We may be going back there for New Year's Eve. :)

Did I mention that it's freezing here? They're having the coldest winter they've had in the UK in ten years. At least I finally figured out how to turn the heat on in our bedroom. Mom was sleeping under two down comforters!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you're having a great time. I'm never thrilled with the whole fish thing but I whole-heartedly support your becoming more educated about Argentine wine. Go you!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4