My heritage, and my family

The L.A. adventure continued:

On Wednesday, Marc got up and made us coffee (I was awakened by the buzzing of the coffee grinder, which was so nice!) and then we went to get bagels. "It's only a few blocks further," he said. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that when he says that, it means it's more like a mile or two... and even after we parked, we ended up hiking up Ventura Blvd in Encino anyway because we had pulled into the wrong parking lot! The bagel place was in fact tasty... for future reference, it is across from the Versailles Cuban restaurant. :)

Then I dropped Marc off at work (bye, Marc!) and went to the Skirball Cultural Center to look around. Aunt Martha had told me they had lovely stuff, and she was right! There was a great exhibit called "From Haven to Home," which marks the 350th Anniversary of the arrival first Jews who settled in America. They also displayed the paintings of Max Liebermann, who was a contemporary of Degas, Monet and Renoir, although very few people have ever heard of him. Apparently his paintings are also on display in the Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid - my favorite museum. In the lobby/hallway, there was an exhibit of photographs from "Sacred Spaces - Historic Houses of Worship in the City of Angels." Some of the photos were really beautiful. The Skirball center has a large shop, too, although all I bought was a little Jewish star with red, white and blue rhinestones. It seemed so... ME! I couldn't afford the huge American flag with Statue of Liberty silhouette, made out of license plates. :(

I asked the lady at the counter how long it would take to get to LAX if I had to be there in an hour, and she said, "leave now." She wasn't kidding. It took me over an hour to get down to the airport, so I had Bryan take the shuttle to Thrifty and I picked him up there. We were both starving by that point, so when Jae called to see where we were, we asked him to help us find an In-n-Out burger on the way to his house. YUM. Of course, we weren't all that hungry for dinner when we got to Escondido, but we couldn't have made it otherwise.

We dropped our stuff at the hotel, and went up to Jae & Teri's house. Samantha was a little hesitant at first, but she attached herself to Bryan and basically wouldn't leave him alone all night -- a 180-degree turn from the last few times we've seen her, where she wouldn't go near him or hardly talked to him at all. Jae & Teri posted it on the Samantha blog - "Uncle Bryan - from zero to hero." :) hee hee Unfortunately, Uncle Bryan was soooooooo tired, he fell asleep on the sofa over there before 9pm. So I brought him back to the hotel, and he was out cold by 10!

Due to the late hour, my Thanksgiving report will be posted tomorrow. Be patient!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4