Blogging deficiency addressed

Ahem.

It was pointed out to me tonight that I have been doing all kinds of fun stuff in LA since Sunday, and I haven't blogged about it at all. Oops! So here goes.

Sunday, I flew out of cold, foggy Seattle and into warm, sunny LA. By the time I got to Marc's, I was starving, and it was already 3:00pm! But it was a little too late for lunch, if we were going to go to Engine Company No. 28 for dinner. So we went to the USC bookstore to get some 'guano' (it's a long story, it's basically the nickname for souvenirs and other cheesy crap that you get at amusement parks and other places) and walked around the campus a bit. Here's a picture of Matt Leinart's Heisman trophy. We noticed that there is an empty cabinet in the trophy area, so there's room for either Matt's or Reggie's trophy this year! :)

Dinner was soooo good. We made a reservation for 5:45, which was good because we beat out the pre-theater crowd. We had excellent steak and calamari and I tried the Louisiana-style crab cakes. Very good, but totally different tasting (much spicier than Maryland crab cakes). Then we went back to Marc's, and I made him watch Grey's Anatomy, which he had never seen (he doesn't watch much tv - at least not without tivo, so he can ffwd through the commercials!).

Monday we went to Marina del Rey to have lunch with some of the guys I know from the USC Information Sciences Institute. They took us to a great sushi restaurant. We tried to find a seafood restaurant in Venice Beach that I had been to last August, but since I couldn't remember exactly where it was or what it was called, we just sort of drove around aimlessly. Oops! I might have to go figure out what the restaurant was, just to make myself feel better, and convince Marc that I'm not crazy. (heh. fat chance.)

In the afternoon, we went to the LA Public Library to see the exhibit of Art Deco Travel Posters. The library itself is beautiful... and of course I managed to bring my camera but leave the battery plugged into the wall, so there were no pictures at all that day. UGH. Stooooopid. (and my camera phone doesn't take quality pictures, so that would have been a waste) Anyway, this is my favorite poster. Unfortunately, because the posters were mostly from private collections, they didn't have any reproductions for sale, or a book of the exhibit. So I settled for a postcard.

Then, Marc got it into his head that we had to go see the Bradbury building, which he swore wasn't too far away (I have since learned NOT to trust him when he says "it's just a few blocks"...) It was used in Blade Runner. We managed to sneak into the building before they closed - it was beautiful - the wrought iron railings and old crank elevators are amazing. But again, no pictures! Unfortunately, the Bradbury building is in a part of LA that I really don't think I'd want to go to by myself or after dark. So we hustled out of there and back to the car -- but not before stopping to look at the Subway Terminal building at 417 S. Hill Street. Marc knew the history of it and explained it to me, but I can't remember enough of it to put it here. Better you should just read it from the link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4