If they work on supercomputers, are they super-geeks?


Next week, upwards of 7,000 engineers, marketers, technology officers, and others will converge on Seattle for Supercomputing 2005 (otherwise known as SC'05). We (I think I fit in the "other" category) will spend the week looking at exhibits of the latest and greatest technologies, listening to presentations, and most importantly, going to parties! Yes, it's true, these geeks really know how to party. Intel and Cisco are throwing their parties (on successive nights) at the Experience Music Project. Intel has Sheryl Crow coming to sing! I am so excited.

Ok, maybe the parties aren't the most important part... I'm probably supposed to go to some of the seminars (Bill Gates is giving a keynote after all) and try to learn something. But the other big deal is who is giving away what in the Exhibit Hall. How I'm going to get through 105,000 sq. ft., I have no idea! But I have promised to bring back t-shirts and other goodies for some folks in my office, so I'd better do it. Every year it's a competition among the vendors to give away the coolest swag - and you can never tell what's going to be the "hot" item until you get there. I'll have to take some pictures of the vast sea of geeks. It's not unlike CES in Las Vegas - only the stuff they have there is much more fun - and more affordable for the average person!

I leave DC at 6:30am on Sunday morning (my own fault... I should have found a later flight). I have to remember to bring one of those spare fold-up suitcases!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, you are most certainly a super-geek. No bones about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4