I know I'm accident-prone, but...

THIS is ridiculous!

Dutch researchers are reporting that "women who are left-handed have a higher risk of dying."
Specifically,

...lefties had a 40 percent higher risk of dying from any cause, a 70 percent higher risk of dying from cancer, and a 30 percent higher risk of dying from diseases of the circulatory system. Left-handed women also had a 2-fold increased risk of dying from breast cancer, close to a 5-fold increased risk of dying from colorectal cancer, and more than a 3-fold higher risk of cerebrovascular mortality.



So on top of my familial history and pre-dispositions to things, now I'm in trouble because I'm left-handed? Yikes.

Here's some fun trivia: It seems lefties perform well in the arts and sciences. There are plenty of well-known lefties in Sports (Jimmy Connors, Martina Navratilova, John McEnroe, Bobby Orr, Dorothy Hamill, Mark Spitz); Politics (Bill Clinton, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson); Entertainment (Nicole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Dan Aykroyd, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt); Music (Phil Collins, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Seal, Sting); Business (Bill Gates, Henry Ford); Law (Clarence Darrow); and Science (Marie Curie, Albert Einstein).

For more goofy lefty tidbits, see the "Left-Handed Myths section of the British Anything Left-handed website. [Before you ask, yes, I am a member of the "Left-Handers Club!" :) ] There must be something wrong with us - after all, the Latin word for left is SINISTER. heh heh

Now, off I go to contemplate my mortality and prepare my last will and testament, since apparently I won't be here for much longer! Gasp! Sob! ;) [and thanks to E for pointing this article out... ]

Comments

Anonymous said…
M,

Your welcome! Did not think that you would blog about it! There I go assuming again. If it is an consolation, me mom's is a southpaw too. (she's not too happy with this either)

E
princess teri said…
good thing you're not dutch.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4