Classical Mystery Tour!

Saturday night, E and I went to see the Austin Symphony's tribute to the Beatles. The website said the layout was picnic tables - I was sure we were going to be sitting outside, like Wolf Trap. But I was wrong! It was inside the Palmer Center's cavernous music hall. We picked up dinner at Central Market beforehand. A lot of the other patrons had box dinners from Jason's, or amazingly elaborate dinners and setups including little shelves to put stuff on!



The orchestra came out right on time, and played a lovely medley of Beatles hits: Hard Day's Night, She Loves Me, Michelle, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Hey Jude, and others. At this point I thought, "Ok, now what?"




Wouldn't you know it, The Beatles came on stage! It was excellent. Apparently the "Classical Mystery Tour" is the combination of a Beatles tribute band and a great orchestra playing backup. The Fab Four are from the Broadway show "Beatlemania," so the singing voices are spot on. They did typical 60's costumes for the start, and then changed into the Sergeant Pepper costumes in the middle, and into the 70's stuff later.

We were the youngest people in our section by at least 20 years, and this was clearly an "event" for the older Austin social set. We must have been sitting in front of the most popular table in the place - everybody had to come say hi at intermission. It was a blast! We sang along to almost everything.


Song list:
  • Every Single Day
  • Hard Day's Night
  • When I Saw Her Standing There
  • Eleanor Rigby
  • Yesterday
  • (costume change!)
  • All You Need is Love
  • Penny Lane
  • Here Comes the Sun
  • Sergeant Pepper
  • I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends
  • She's Leaving Home
  • A Day in the Life
  • **intermission**
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • I am the Walrus
  • Obladi - Oblada
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Come Together
  • My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • Baby I'm Amazed
  • ("McCartney Montage")
  • Long & Winding Road
  • Live & Let Die
  • Imagine
  • Golden Slumbers
  • **encores**
  • Hey Jude
  • Twist & Shout
It was tons of fun! They were selling t-shirts and CDs after the show, but we didn't hang around. (I thought, mistakenly, that I'd be able to get the CD from their website. Oops.) Next time, I think a) I'll get a whole group together, b) we'll get a closer table and c) we'll bring a better picnic. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4