Duff was here!

I don't normally go out of my way to see a celebrity. (although I was very jealous that Dani saw Bobby and Jamie Deen last year) But I just looooove Ace of Cakes. Duff is a nice Jewish boy, after all. ;)

Duff is the chef/owner of Charm City Cakes in Baltimore. They do cakes for all kinds of events, from weddings to the Superbowl to housewarmings and everything in between. They did a Taj Mahal cake for a wedding last year that was amazing. Apparently they just did the cake for the Harry Potter movie premiere in Hollywood... they did a 4ft x 5ft model of Hogwart's! and then had to drive it to LA in a Winnebago. Apparently there will be an episode about it later this year.


So for the demonstration at the mall today, he finished decorating a guitar. by painting the wood-stain on the top. The bottom half of it is for support, but the top half is cake. He went to a music store and bought the guitar neck and strings and put them on -- and played it! He tuned the guitar, and took out a pick, and it sounded great!


At the end, he added "sand" (graham cracker crumbs), a cactus, and one of those parched skulls from the desert. He's just as funny in person as he is on the show. In the Q&A session, he mentioned that he had moved (artistically) from painting graffiti to decorating cakes, so someone asked if he'd ever been arrested. He said if they knew a cook who said they hadn't been arrested, the cook was lying. He said they do an average of 13-15 cakes a week, but their worst week was 42 cakes. Ouch!
There was an autograph station, but the line was over a hundred people before he'd even finished the demo, so I didn't bother.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay Duff! I wonder if he's bothering to do any appearances closer to home...
Unknown said…
I'm jealous! I love that show! Everyone looks like they have so much fun working there. I think it's cool how he hired his friends and trained them instead of trying to find really experienced pastry people.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4