Go Scarlet Knights!!

If you read this blog, you know that I am a big USC football fan. Ain't nothin' but a family thing. :)


But when forced back to reality, I will admit that my undergrad degree is from Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. Rutgers has a proud history in football: RU and Princeton played the first college football game EVER in 1869. [Rutgers won, 6-4]


Up til now (since the time that I was there, in nineteen-ninety-mumble), the RU football team hasn't been much of a threat to anyone but themselves... they went 1-11 in 2002. But things are looking up. They did well enough last year to make it to a Bowl game, and this year are 8-0 and the #15 team in the nation! Last night, they made it 9-0 (I can't get used to this Thursday night football thing... my dad had to call me and tell me it was on) by beating Louisville, the #3 team! Go Scarlet Knights!! They will undoubtedly move up the rankings on Sunday, so USC had better win too, or I'm gonna have to find a Rutgers Alumni club to watch football with down here! ;) ha ha



It occurred to me as I was watching the last 14 seconds of the game -- played at the enormous stadium they opened in my senior year, where Clay tried to teach me to drive on a manual transmission car in the parking lot -- that I have no t-shirts or other memorabilia with the RU logo. I guess I'll have to go to the online bookstore (or send cousin M over to New Brunswick, where I'm sure there will be a mob scene) and get something. Does this make me a fair-weather friend? I suppose. But who had ever heard of Rutgers (outside of NY/NJ)? Heck, even the folks at the Empire State Building showed their "Scarlet fever"! [and a Scarlet ESB is much cooler than an orange tower...] ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, the orange tower is...interesting. I don't even think I'm going to be capable of watching the game on Saturday. Nervous wreck, party of one?

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4