USC 44, Notre Dame 24

That's it. That's all I need to write.


Well, ok, I'll write about the rest of Saturday. :) Bry and I got up and got out of the hotel at 9am, as planned. We made great time getting to LA, pulling up at Marc's at about 11:15am. We drove up to the hills behind the Getty to pick up one of Marc's Band buddies -- they looked so cute in their matching band jackets! I should have taken a picture -- and then we were off to lunch and campus. We went to the Two Nine for lunch - the boys all had the Trojan Double Bacon Cheeseburger. (urp.)


Then we walked down to campus. The place was hopping! Bry and I immediately headed for the bookstore, where we had to stand in line to get inside! The line moved quickly, and soon we were among the hordes of people upstairs digging through shirts, sweatshirts and other Trojan paraphernalia for the perfect item. I got a t-shirt, a sweatshirt (my old one is getting pretty ragged) and a pair of USC earrings! Had to put those on right away. The kid got a yellow hat, which proved to be very useful the rest of the night - I could always find him!



We went back out to see Tommy Trojan, but he was neatly wrapped in plastic to protect him from any mischief that might come about in the weeks leading up to the UCLA game (next weekend). I took a pic with the cell phone --> By then, the band (The Spirit of Troy) was done warming up and was marching over to play for the President's BBQ, which is around the side of the building behind Tommy. So we lined up next to the path and watched the show. They're so great! We high-fived them as they went by. When they finished, they marched over to the stadium, so we followed. On the way over, we joined the rest of the fans in kicking the flagpoles at the campus gate for good luck. It's tradition.

We had GREAT seats. THANKS, MOM! We were on the 20-yard line, about 50 rows up. We were also glad we had brought/bought warm stuff, because it was already shady on our side of the stadium, and it only got colder! Bryan was admittedly a little nervous before the game - there was a lot of hype, and ND had been playing pretty well, particularly Brady Quinn. But it was not to be. There were a lot of *stupid* penalties on both sides. (Some were bad calls, and some were stupid moves by over-excited players.) USC even missed a point-after! How does that happen? There were some phenomenal plays, which I am not going to recap -- go read the Sports Illustrated article if you're interested.



After the clock ran out and everyone rushed the field, we made our way around to the other side of the stadium where the band set up to give its final concert (this was the last home game of the season). They played everything in the repertoire, and the chant changed from "Beat the Irish" to "Beat the Bruins." Then they marched out of the stadium, and we followed them back across to campus. By the time we got back to Marc's it was 10:30pm, and I had to get up at 5:30am to make my flight. I don't think I slept at all, regardless -- I was too excited about the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4