Time flies when you're having fun!

So, Thursday was the day to find "supplies." First, we took a short walk around the neighborhood and checked out the architecture. It looks like a lot of them were the small Sears-house type abodes, and then were expanded or rebuilt. Many of them have large, 2-story attachments built onto the back, but the same small one-room looking structure in front. There are some really beautiful homes around here.

After showering and making a test-drive up to my office -- it should only take about 15-20 mins, but we'll see what it's like in rush hour tomorrow!-- we went to Target for the basics -- everything from shampoo and sponges to garden clippers and gloves. It also occurred to me (after I started filling the pitcher without them) that I needed BRITA filters. duh. I kept having these moments of "I have that" and M would say, "No, we put that in a box for storage." Oops! So there's a running list of things I still need (like coffee filters, which would have been good to get when I bought the coffee on Thursday).

Then, since I had been telling M all about it, I took her down to the massive Whole Foods at Sixth and Lamar. It's such an overwhelming supermarket... it was sensory overload. But we didn't buy anything there, we were thinking that we'd go to Central Market instead, since it's basically across the street from the house. (well, ok, it's about 7 blocks, but it's really close). :) We drove over to Sixth street so I could show her the whole live music area and the Driskill hotel, which is gorgeous. We walked up and down Sixth and then got back in the car to go to the market. M recognized one of the bars as being the one that the "Real World" kids hung out in. Apparently it's one of the *least* cool bars in the city.

As it turns out, Central Market is basically a cross between Whole Foods and the regular supermarket, HEB. (I miss my Harris Teeter!!) We knew it was a little too fancy for us when M couldn't find the regular Lay's potato chips. heh. But we got a lot of stuff anyway - I have to have my Lactaid, after all!

With a car full of groceries and a 90+ degree day, we had to go straight home. We made lunch at home and napped for a while. It's amazing how exhausting it is to be out in this heat. And it doesn't even feel that hot, because there's no humidity. (I know you don't believe me, but it's so much cooler in the shade, it's amazing.) M definitely needed a nap, because after lunch she made good use of the clippers and gloves that we bought, and trimmed back the overgrown bushes out in front of the house. Thank goodness she likes to do that stuff, b/c I couldn't have done it! (well, I suppose I could have, but I wouldn't have liked it at all!)

Then, I wanted to check out the Barton Creek Square Mall, which is just south of town. Turns out it's a Simon mall, so it's just like Pentagon City and a host of other malls I've been to around the country. It has a Chico's and a Coldwater Creek and Nordstrom and Lane Bryant ... so I might end up shopping there pretty often. ;) But then there's also the Arboretum by my office (also a Simon mall)... so there's plenty to choose from.

For dinner, I took M to my favorite BBQ place, County Line on the Lake. I'm practically a regular at this point! M was quick to make friends with our waiter (Danny), and has pictures to prove it (which she will send me asap so I can post them). She had the prime rib and a giant baked potato with all the fixin's. I had the pepper turkey breast (never had that before, YUM!) and some brisket. It was sooooo good!

By then it was time to crash, and plan for another big day on Friday!

Comments

Just Me said…
Mmmm, BBQ! I can't wait for the pig roast!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4