The pile grows larger

While I'm taking a short break, I thought you all should witness my packing progress. :)

Here's what the "box corner" looked like when Kelly left on Wednesday... She was an angel and helped with the kitchen stuff (my cabinets are empty!).... dishes, glasses, mugs, pots n pans, all packed! THANK YOU KELLY! I should have taken a picture of her knee-deep in bubble wrap and newspaper, but we were too busy for that! She also helped me to go Staples and get more boxes, a new tape gun (she, um, finished breaking the one I had already half-broken), and a huge roll of bubble wrap.

Thursday I was all on my own. I only left the apartment to take out the massive bags of garbage that have accumulated -- I am fighting my pack-rat genes as hard as I can! I am actually throwing things away!! It's incredible. (feels good, too!)

So, after dinner with Suzy (my former boss) at Carlyle -- yummy crabcakes and calamari!! -- I came back and boxed up some more stuff: the top bin is all my stuffed animals... believe me, there are less of them in there now than there used to be! But Sandy, the Cat in the Hat, and Fievel still didn't fit, so I'll have to bag them up some other way.

What is that odd little boat in the front of the picture, you ask? Well, that's the Viking Ship we had to build in our medieval history class in SEVENTH GRADE. Yes, I am that much of a pack rat. Actually, my parents kept it in their house for the longest time, but then decided that they didn't have room for it anymore, so I have had it, languishing on a shelf and collecting dust, for a few years. Well, no more.

First off, I have no idea how I'd wrap it so it wouldn't get all mangled. Second, really, do I need to keep it? It floated in 7th grade (that's how we passed the course, the boat had to float) -- of course, mine floated better because my dad helped me caulk the seams! Nobody else was that ingenious. I don't remember if I got in trouble for that or not... ;)

Anyway, here's a final close-up of the ship. You can see where the water level got to the middle of the shields and washed some of the color away... oh well. Take a good look, cuz it's going in the TRASH! It's so sad, somebody should play Taps or something. Or whatever the traditional Viking song would be. heh.


ok, back to packing!

Comments

Just Me said…
Can't believe you didn't bring me calamari! As for your ship, there is clearly only one solution: viking funeral! Set it on fire and launch it into the Potomac (and pray it doesn't catch fire a la the Cuyahoga)

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4