Pressure...

Ok, so.... I didn't finish my scarf in time for the closing ceremonies. No medal for me. But if I didn't actually *watch* the closing ceremonies, does it really mean it's over? heh. Pam finished her scarf, Dani finished Thorn (aka Rose) and Carolyn made multiple kitty beds. So at least some of my teammates earned their medals!

I will keep working on the scarf -- it's still fun to do -- but I accept the fact that, like Bode Miller and Michelle Kwan, my Olympic experience wasn't all it was meant to be. Oh well.

My birthday, on the other hand, was FABULOUS, "possums"! First, I have to say that the first person to wish me a happy birthday was in fact my baby brother on Friday night (it was already Saturday afternoon in Sydney, after all!). And he sent me a text message on my cell phone, too! What a good kid. :)

So, in the back corner of Aria Trattoria's indoor patio, under the hot hot hot lamps (which we made them turn off), a dozen of us gathered for tasty Italian food and wine [Ryan was _almost_ the only guy at dinner, but Caryn and Chris showed up later so he was saved.... although he didn't really seem to *mind* the ratio... ;)] Unfortunately, I had forgotten two very important things:
1) my camera -- so there is no photographic evidence of the festivities, and
2) the tickets to Dame Edna! I left them on my desk at home!! (can't you just hear the gasps from my mother, aunt, and friends when I realized this at the table?)

However, the benefit of having dinner across the street from the theater is that I could order my meal, and then run across the street to the box office to beg for mercy. The nice man at the box office took a break from his Sudoku puzzles :) and wrote me a voucher for six people to get into the show. Phew! Apparently the theater was nearly sold out, except for a few single tickets here and there. Our seats were in the front row of the Balcony. I wouldn't recommend them for a show like this... the front "railing" of the balcony was actually a wall about a foot wide, so we all spent the whole show leaning forward to be able to see the Dame on stage. She did take pity on us "paupers" up in the balcony and waved a few times. :) On the other hand, we were glad not to have been seated in the front three or four rows of the orchestra, where Dame Edna wreaked havoc -- she took people's shoes (she has psychic abilities), gave marriage counseling (actually called the mother-in-law!) and put on a short one-act play with audience members as the cast.

So that's it, I'm 33 now. I don't feel much different -- it was a little dizzying on Sunday morning -- or maybe that was because I whacked my head on the doorframe when I was getting into mom's car to go to brunch! D'oh! Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow after Luigi cuts my hair. I think I'll have him chop off three inches or so. I'll be sure to post a pic after it's done.

Comments

Just Me said…
Glad you had a great birthday. I felt a little different Sunday but I think that has more to do with the fantastic Pinot Grigio than anything else. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4