Spain wins again!

Viva España!

Rafael Nadal unseated the reigning king of Wimbledon yesterday, beating Roger Federer in five rain-interrupted sets. WOW. The tennis was unbelievable. Rafa looked amazing. I was jumping around my living room during the fourth set tiebreaker - I couldn't sit still! When I called mom, she wasn't even watching, she had to run away to the basement. But she gave in and went upstairs after she heard all of the screaming and yelling.

... and then I missed the end of the match. (I didn't even set the DVR) :(

At the second rain delay (2-2 in the fifth set!), the tv commentators kept saying the players would have to come back really soon because otherwise it was going to be dark, so they'd have to finish on Monday. I figured they were right, it would finish on Monday, so I left the house. Little did I know that the rain delay would last only 30 minutes, and the match would continue into the twilight. (I remember one of Sampras' matches going so late it was almost dark, too.)

And, just like Sampras, the first thing Rafa did was scramble up into the stands to hug his father and his uncle. The second thing he did was to go greet the Crown Prince of Spain (Felipe) and his wife Letizia. [*Sigh* Felipe is so adorable. Speaks English perfectly, you know... he went to Georgetown University. ] How cool was that?

The Spaniards have got to be so excited, between the Euro2008 and this (and the French Open, which Nadal also won)... They're going to be fired up for the Olympics!

Comments

Mari said…
Awesome Match!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4