Signs of (some) intelligence

Last month, I was reminded of the utter idiocy that abounds in (parts of) Texas. This month, I'm pleased to say, my position was upheld by some pretty smart people. Regarding the proposal by the Creation Institute to train "science" teachers in creationism in Texas:
"The latest round of so-called creation science truly scares me and all of my colleagues here at UT Southwestern Medical Center," wrote Alfred Gilman, dean of UT Southwestern's medical school and a Nobel Prize winner in medicine. "Approval of this sort of nonsense as science in Texas will have a significant negative impact on our ability to attract the best minds to the state."
HA! The one that really gets me is from another Nobel laureate:

Steven Weinberg, a physics professor at UT-Austin and a Nobel laureate in physics, [said,] "In my opinion, it would be a blow to science education in Texas, and an embarrassment for Texas," he wrote.

But of course they're getting just as many letters saying that the state *should* allow it, including a message from this guy, who works across the street from me!

[Joe Scientist], senior research scientist at UT-Austin's Center for Electromechanics, asked that the institute be given a fair review. "I am persuaded that the creation worldview has a firm place in science," he wrote.
OK, seriously, dude? You're a scientist. Creation is not science. It's a lovely bedtime story. I think the problem is that these people really do not want to believe that they are in any way related to monkeys. Sorry kids, that's genetics. And genetics IS science. (...and all good genetic research requires a supercomputer. Sorry, had to throw that in there!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4