Yes, it's been a while.

I've been busy! So sue me!

Thursday night, I went up to Pflugerville to watch 'Lady Jane' with some girls from my book club. Our book last month was Innocent Traitor - a historical fiction novel about the life of Jane Grey, who was Queen of England for 9 days when she was 15 years old. The movie is also her story, although it paints a decidedly different picture of her life, and particularly of her reign. The movie (1986) stars Helena Bonham Carter as Jane and Cary Elwes as her husband, Guilford Dudley. The book portrays their relationship as painful and awkward... the movie, clearly taking liberties, spent a lot of time making it into a love story. But at least Patrick Stewart was in it. :)

The heat has finally arrived, so it's been 100-plus degrees since last week. But that didn't stop us from going out dancing on Friday night! About 15 of us went to Cedar Street to see Skyrocket, a great 80's cover band. We took a bunch of 'before' and 'after' pictures -- before the sweating, and after! (Cedar Street is an outdoor venue.) We were drenched within fifteen minutes, just sitting still -- never mind any time spent dancing. But it was a blast! [Waiting for the pictures to be posted, although some of them are blackmail material....]

Saturday night, Andy wanted to go see Guy Forsyth and the Hot Nut Riveters, a 20's and 30's dirty jazz band. I've been hearing about Guy Forsyth since I got here (he's an Austin legend), so Andy and Paul and I went downtown to the Parish and enjoyed the music. We also enjoyed a parade of people at the show that would have given Stacy and Clinton heart palpitaitons. I mean, really, people!

By Sunday, I was dead tired. I did get up and go to the gym, and got a lovely massage from Patrick the masseuse. I think that's what saved me. He was trying to fix the knots in my shoulders, particularly the left one, which I fell on last week at the gym. I didn't do much more after that - it was too hot!

My neighbor came back from her trip to Scotland and brought me a lovely wool scarf, to thank me for watering her plants. (I think I'll put the scarf away until I go to DC in the winter.) I'm planning on going up in October, but I'm waiting for plane ticket prices to drop again. By then there will be a new little Diehl baby, too! (d'oh! another penguin to make!)

Work is incredibly busy, but really fun, for the most part. I'm glad I moved to Texas. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4