The Political Compass

Dani sent me a link today to the Political Compass, a site that gauges your left- or right-leaning tendencies, and your authoritarian vs. libertarian views.

The questions are really thought-provoking... in some cases, I would have rather had the option to say "no opinion" or "neither agree nor disagree," but you have to pick one way or the other.
Sample questions: (strongly agree/agree/disagree/strongly disagree)
  • Charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged.
  • In a civilized society, one must always have people above to be obeyed and people below to be commanded.
  • There are no savage and civilized peoples; there are only different cultures.
  • Governments should penalize businesses that mislead the public.
My results: (no one is really going to be surprised) ;)

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44


See that red dot? That's me.


In case you're wondering, here's how some of the world's leaders and great thinkers would fit on the graph (that's Milton Friedman, not Thomas-the-world-is-flat-Friedman). Gandhi and I would have gotten along swimmingly. :)

Comments

SpinalCat said…
I'm -4.88 L/R, -7.79 L/A.
Which means I'm a bit more anarchist than you, Gandhi, or the Dalai Lama. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4