That's SO last year!

Now that we're all pros at chatting online with instant messenger or sending cellphone text messages, we all know what LOL, BRB, and LMAO** are. But the next generation (call them Generation Y, the "Millennials", the Internet generation - your choice) is way beyond these archaic abbreviations.

NYT's David Pogue offers some suggestions for new terms. My favorites - (pay attention! you may see these soon in a message from me!)

* 12OF -- twelve-o'clock flasher (refers to someone less than competent with technology, to the extent that every appliance in the house flashes "12:00") [I love this one!]

* GI -- Google it

* FCAO -- five conversations at once

* IIOYT -- is it on YouTube?

* SML -- send me the link

* KYST -- knew you'd say that

* NBL -- no battery left

* TWD -- typing while driving

* CYE --check your email

And a few just for iPhone owners: [Andy, this means you:]

* CSVUI -- can't send video, using iPhone

* BPWMI -- boss playing with my iPhone

* SIK -- sorry, iPhone keyboard

* OOM -- out of messages (for iPhone users who haven't upgraded their AT&T "200 messages a month" plan)

And, for the older crowd (read: parents, employers), some classics:

* WIWYA -- when I was your age

* YKT – you kids today

* WDO? -- what are you doing online?

* NIWYM -- no idea what you mean

* AYD? -- are you drunk?




** LOL - laughing out loud; BRB - be right back ; LMAO - laughing my a** off

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4