Dinner is served, socks on the side

Did you know that I have lovely things hidden away in my fridge/freezer? No, it's not (always) science-project-style growth -- but I sometimes forget that the stuff is there. Yesterday, I found a small bag of spinach that had to be cooked post-haste. Voila! Spinach with garlic and olive oil! (mom's quick recipe) This afternoon, I took the pork loin out of the freezer, to see if I could maybe come up with something to make for dinner. Voila again! Cooking Light's Smothered Pork Chops with Thyme. (I had pork loin, not chops, but same basic idea.) Add some brown rice, and you get a well-rounded, home-cooked meal. And to drink, Timbuktu Small Block White (Chardonnay), which I got at World Markets and stuck in the fridge for just such an occassion. (I think I bought it because I liked the car on the label.) :)

In the meantime, when I haven't been on the phone with a newly-discovered Nice Jewish Boy*, I've been knitting Widdershins socks. (can't knit and hold the phone to my ear at the same time. must find my headset... ) One of the things that I wanted to do this year was cabled socks, so here we go! I'm making them for mom, so they're going to be slightly too small for me to try on once I turn the heel. [I might run out of yarn after the first sock. Fortunately, it's a multicolored variegated yarn, so they don't have to match exactly! I can just buy another skein!] But, I'm starting to make the heel gusset, and it looks pretty neat. :)




*Yes, there is a new NJB. He lives in San Antonio (which is about 90 minutes south of here, give or take some traffic). I've already told him he's exceedingly nice, but I think he's just trying to make a good impression. I admit I struggled at first with the full measure of his attention focused on me (it's been a while), but I'm getting used to it. [Boys really like me this much? Ridiculous.] We're getting together again next weekend -- I haven't been to SA yet, so I'm going to go be a tourist and see the Alamo and the Riverwalk, with him as my tour guide. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Meanwhile back at the ranch.....
Anonymous said…
It is what it is Mel! Go have some fun with the "boy".
Anonymous said…
dying to know how the date went and what you did. I heard they have tolls in San Antonio, did you pay a toll to get where you needed to go?

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4