homemade samosas?!

Yes, I'm a crazy woman. I signed up for a Cooking Light Supper Club. There are about a dozen of us, and this month's meal is Indian food. We're meeting next Saturday night. I'd make chicken tikka masala, but there are already three other chicken dishes on the list. And I found a recipe for baked samosas, which ostensibly would be much healthier than fried ones. So I figured I'd do a trial run and see how they turned out.

But, I forgot to print the recipe out at work, so I had to hook up my printer at home. Since I don't have a desk yet, I had to set it up on the dining room table.... which is very far from the living room, where the laptop has been living. Fortunately, I have a 25' ethernet cable [yes, I have a wireless router, but I didn't feel like setting that up right now, there's enough craziness going on!] I was smart and packed new printer cartridges in the box, but did I pack any paper? Naaah. I have all kinds of other paper - neon brights, red-white-and-blue graded, R/W/B with stars - but no plain white. You know what I found out? 3-hole-punched college rule paper works just fine. ;) But all of this technology fiddling was just so I could start cooking.

It's a very labor-intensive process. You have to make the dough, then cook the potatoes for the filling, then cook the onions and garlic and stuff that goes with the taters, then mix it togther and let everything cool... roll out the dough, make the little pockets of stuff, bake them... it's a good thing the 2-hour season premiere of Biggest Loser was on so I had something to watch!

They turned out ok. The dough is nice and crunchy, which is good, but it's so different from the deep-fried original. They taste pretty good. I didn't make the sauce yet, and I'm sure they will taste better with the sauce. I'm timid about taking them to work tomorrow without the sauce. I wonder if I can stick them in the freezer? I might pick a different dish to bring. My kitchen is a MESS!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Silly me - I was thinking MImosas. Of course you can make them at home! Although there is no "lighter" version.

P.S. Youu clock is an hour behind ;)
Just Me said…
Wow, that sounds super-adventurous! How was the supper club?

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4