(not-so-)Clueless in Clarendon

Team "Clueless in Clarendon" [Dani, Elizabeth, May, Joan and I] came in second at trivia night tonight, at our newest neighborhood Irish pub (RiRa). That makes two weeks in a row in second place! I can't take any credit for last week's showing, I missed it. But I don't think I'll miss it again. It was so much fun! (and my face hurts from laughing with the girls...)

See, there are two things that are going to make this definitely a weekly event for me --
1) I'm very competitive (I know, you're surprised...) and 2) I love trivia!

The first round was a set of 10 photos, who all had something in common. [and there's no way we would have gotten two of them without our waitress, she was the best! and she got a nice tip, too! :)] I mean, who ever heard of Jordan? (she's a model from the UK) I can't even remember the other girl's name. Bonus question -- What they all had in common (including Rob Lowe, Paris Hilton and Colin Farrell) was sex videos. That part we got right away.

Then we moved on to the hard questions* (in rounds of 8):
  • The temple of Wat Arun is in what city?
  • What country is between Zimbabwe and the sea?
  • When was the first Nobel Prize awarded? (1901, 1905, or 1909?)
  • Which Irish actor won an Oscar for his role in My Left Foot?
  • Which Irish actor played Miles O'Brien on Star Trek: TNG?
  • What is the only bird on the Chinese calendar?
  • What is the official animal of Canada?
  • What do you call the stiffness that sets in on the body when a person dies?
  • What movie was associated with the Stevie Wonder song, "I just called to say I love you"?
  • Who was the subject of the Mel Brooks movie "Men in Tights"?
  • What Canadian province is named after a daughter of Queen Victoria?
  • Which country was the first to use numbered tags on cars?
  • What country in Europe still has wild bison?
  • What 1939 movie ends with "After all, tomorrow is another day"?
  • In what city is the bridge known as the Rialto found?
  • What Japanese city was bombed on August 6, 1945?
... and many, many more.

Then there was the music round. Fortunately, it was 80's music night! The Quiz master -- Patrick, who has a lovely Irish accent, particularly when he says the number 3 ('tree') -- had to sing a few lines from each song. Lucky for him, we knew all the songs so he didn't have to sing as much... after a while, he just shut up and let us do it!

Name the artist that sang these songs:
  • "Eternal Flame"
  • "Don't You Want Me"
  • "Come on Eileen"
  • "Video Killed the Radio Star"
  • "I Think We're Alone Now"
In the end, we lost by ONE POINT to the guys sitting behind us, who I think were using their blackberries to get answers from their friends. But don't hold me to it. Regardless, we got Tanqueray t-shirts. The third place team ["Johnny Utah"] got Guinness hats, so we traded some of our spare t-shirts. :) First place is two pints of beer apiece (I think). So I'm just as happy with a t-shirt.

For next week, we are all assigned some geography studying, and Patrick told us that next week's music is 70's disco. So we're set. :) [Patrick likes us!]













*oh, you want the answers?
- Bangkok
- Mozambique
- 1901
- Daniel Day-Lewis
- Colm Meaney
- Rooster
- Beaver
- Rigor mortis
- The Woman in Red
- Robin Hood
- Alberta
- France
- Poland
- Gone with the Wind
- Venice
- Hiroshima

Music answers:
- The Bangles
- Human League
- Dexy's Midnight Runners
- The Buggles (first video shown on MTV)
- Tiffany

Comments

Just Me said…
Patrick doesn't like us - he LUUUUUUUUUUUUVS us.

Yeah, we probably shouldn't talk any crap about the winning team since we got 2 answers from Susan.

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4