Gigi was here!

Finally, one of my friends from DC made it down to Austin to visit*! Giselle showed up on Friday afternoon, and walked straight into a whirlwind schedule of eating, drinking, dancing, and football.

First, we had to go to happy hour, to say farewell (for now) to Aaron, who is moving with his wife (Erin) to India. She won a Fulbright scholarship to go study art! He'll be "telecommuting" til next June. But we couldn't stay at happy hour for long, because we had dinner reservations. We went back to my house to change and wait for Atesha, and then we were off to Ranch 616. It was crowded, but the food was SO good. We all ordered steak - three different specials. Mine had crabmeat, Giselle's had a little quail on the side, and Atesha got a mesquite grilled steak as big as her head! And the biscuits - we were so glad Aubrey told us to make sure we got biscuits! :)

Once we were completely stuffed, we moved on to Momo's to see Skyrocket. The first set was interesting - songs I'd never heard them play before - but Gigi just couldn't get over the variety (and the vintage) of the songs they played. The first few notes of every song made her say "oh my gawd!" or "wow!" Then Keith and Steve and Alli showed up, and we hit the dance floor for the second set. These are the hits we know and love -- Blondie, the Bee Gees, Air Supply, Eurythmics, even the Bay City Rollers! It was great! We stayed through the second set, and then it was just too late and we were all exhausted.

Saturday morning I took Giselle to the Omelettry for late breakfast. We stuffed ourselves with pancakes and eggs and coffee, to fortify us for going to the Pecan Street Festival. I had never been... it was pretty much the same as most other street festivals, in New York or DC... It was a little warm. We wandered along the stalls, and she bought a cute painted metal fish for her bathroom, and some gorgeous earrings at the SoLa booth -- it was great to see Coral & Joel, and their booth was busy! I hope they did well.

Then we went home to veg for a bit and recover from the heat, before going back downtown with Atesha for the UT-Rice football game. It was a great game for Texas... not so much for Rice. We left after the third quarter, when the score got out of hand. We had to have some bbq before Gigi left, so we went down to County Line on the Lake. It was about 9:30 when we got there -- the place was empty. We stuffed ourselves (again, but we hadn't really eaten since lunch) with bbq pork/ham/brisket/sausage/ribs, and dessert. Urp.

The only thing that we did on Sunday morning was go to the airport. I dropped off Gigi and went straight to the gym, to burn off all the calories from the weekend of stuffing my face... and boy did I ever burn them! Lara made sure of that. :)

So, thanks, G, for coming down to visit, and I hope you had fun! I know I did! (Eventually I will get around to posting the three pictures we took the whole weekend...)

* Stuart has been here more than once, but he didn't stay with me or need me to show him around. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4