From Line Dancing to Pole Dancing...

All in one night! Ah, the contrasts of Austin. :)

Saturday was "get your groove on" night. While we do absolutely loooove seeing Skyrocket or the Spazmatics at Cedar Street, sometimes it's nice to go hear music someplace where you won't sweat to death within 60 seconds (i.e. indoors). So on Saturday we decided to go to the famous Broken Spoke. Cowboy boots required! (well, not officially, but strongly encouraged!)

We had to have dinner first, of course, so El Sol y La Luna was destination #1. Yummmm. A carpool of four turned into dinner for five - no, six! - and then a table for seven at the Spoke. The singer -- Dale Watson -- looked a good deal like Billy Bob Thornton, though with more hair (and a little more meat on his bones). The dance floor was packed most of the night. The people-watching was amazing - everyone from long-time-practically-pro-dancer couples, to little kids being held up by their (grand)parents as they spun around the room, to a sudden influx of CLOWNS (I kid you not!) spinning around the floor in their makeup, colorful wigs and floppy shoes. And yes, Aubrey and I did a spin around the floor. So now I can say I danced at the Broken Spoke -- I might even have to go back!

Unfortunately, the crowd and the lackluster A/C made it a little difficult to hang out for too long, so we bailed. But it was only midnight - too early to go home! - so we found our way to Charlie's. Needless to say, the four of us ladies were the only females in the place -- 12:15am is early at Charlie's -- and we were not, um, the focus of any male attention... at all. The two speedo-clad guys dancing on the "stage" were very popular, however. I think all Atesha could say for the first ten minutes was "oh my." But, the music was good, and the dance floor was empty, so we boogied! Each of us made friends in a different way on the dance floor, but those are stories that are better left untold. (don't want to shock the masses too much...)

Then the clock struck 2am, and I just couldn't stand up any more (good thing my boots are comfy!) so it was time to get some munchies. We headed straight to Kerbey Lane, but the service wasn't particularly fast and we were all sooooo tired... I took my gingerbread pancakes home to have for breakfast (i.e. lunch) on Sunday.

It was definitely "cultural whiplash" to go from the Broken Spoke to Charlie's, but it was the most fun I've had in a while -- and I was even the designated driver! :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nicely sketchy on the details, my friend!

Popular posts from this blog

I see London, I see France...

Ciao, Italia!

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4