Hispanic/Latino/Mexican/Chicano Comedy

Friday night Alex took me out for a belated birthday night. We went to a Cuban restaurant on 6th Street. We had mojitos (he'd never had one), I had ropa vieja with platanos fritos, and he had a traditional Cuban pork sandwich. I haven't had good Cuban food since my business trips to Miami in 2002-2003. This was excellent. We had to take our desserts "to-go" ... which is fine with a coconut empanada, but not so good with the flan. (So he gave his flan to another diner in the restaurant.) We'll definitely have to go back there.


Then we went to Esther's Follies, but it wasn't the regular comedy show, it was the Latino Comedy Project. It was hilarious. We laughed SO hard -- fortunately A is not bothered by the fact that I laugh really loudly -- he was louder than I was! There were some anti-Dubya jokes and songs (there's one white guy in the group, so he got to be Shrub), and some fake "commercials," which you can see on their website. They did a skit that was a girl's QuinceaƱera -- a fifteenth birthday party (basically the Mexican version of a bat mitzvah) -- but the girl was pregnant, and her boyfriend's name was: ALEX. I couldn't stop laughing.


There were some other great skits. "The life of the Piojo (head lice)," "The Pendejo (dumb-a**)Self-Defense Kit", and the Latino-version of a major musical - "Greasers"! The best song had to be "Hopelessly Deported with You..." I got a t-shirt.


These guys are on their way to LA, to do some shows in Hollywood and try to get some more exposure. I hope they do well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4