More of my L.A. Story

So, for dinner on Monday we went to Border Grill in Santa Monica. EXCELLENT Mexican food. The restaurant is owned by the "Too Hot Tamales" who used to have a show on the Food Network. Really neat decor, too. The mango and guava flavored margaritas were both quite tasty. We were very tempted to order seconds, but we didn't. We were definitely too full to order dessert, even though it looked tasty.

We walked over to the Third Street Promenade and happened upon the Starbucks Listening Station. It's very cool - you can look up any song or group of songs from a bunch of different albums (150,000?) and burn your own mix disk, for ~$10. They also sell all kinds of CDs. It was written up in the Washington Post last August.

We spent way more time in there than we intended... almost an hour. By the time we left (and I bought a Nnenna Freelon CD), most of the other stores were closed. We got some gelato and went to Barnes & Noble, but we had to leave there before we spent any money. ;)

Tuesday, Marc actually had to go to work (which I think he regretted later!). I slept a little late, only slightly interrupted by his neighbors ringing their little bell, for reasons as yet unknown... and went over to the Getty Museum to meet him. Fortunately, I remembered the camera AND the battery this time, so there are a LOT of pictures. This is one of my favorites. I did not alter the sky color here - it was the perfect day for photography. There are some really interesting exhibits, and the grounds are just beautiful. I will have to go back and see the rest of it when I come back to LA.

We left the Getty with plans to go see the latest Harry Potter movie, but we didn't make it to the theater in time (traffic on the 405... UGH!). Instead, we went to the Petersen automotive museum. I think Marc was surprised that I actually wanted to go to a car museum, but I really liked it! They are having an exhibit of the "Cars of Heads of State" which was very interesting. We also went to the "discovery" floor, which was closed, but we still posed on the CHiPs motorcycle! :)

We went to dinner at the lovely home of my friends Don and Tamara Rosen. Tam made a lemon chicken (it looked just like the picture in the recipe!) and "par-waved" potatoes. Estella (just turned 4) and Melina (18 mos) were on hand for entertainment. One thing is certain - Dora the Explorer is just as big on the West Coast as she is on the East Coast! Dora actually made an appearance at Estella's birthday on Sunday. Wow.

Of course, we (all the Fratkins) love Don and think of him as a member of the family, but he has one HUGE mark against him - he went to UCLA! (spit three times) and he has taught Estella the fight song and the alma mater, so we were treated to a performance. Oy vey. She's only four! Give the kid a break, really. We stayed pretty late drinking wine and lychee-tinis (apparently a very hip drink!) at the Rosens, so by the time we got back to Marc's -- good thing I was driving -- he basically just passed out. Poor guy. ;)

In the next post, more on Marc's distance measurements (where's that bagel place?), the Skirball center, and Bryan's arrival in LA.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gonna make you a "biker babe" yet. You make me proud!

Popular posts from this blog

Ciao, Italia!

I see London, I see France...

Sixteen Days in the UK - Part 4